Saturday, August 31, 2013

Reflection on Un Chien Andalou



This is an example of a Surrealist film. Un Chien Andalou is a silent film by Luis Buñel. A Surrealist film again is an anti-narrative which means it's story is not linear but diverse and the following scenes are very unexpected in short, it is confusing.

When I watched this short film, I actually don't understand the whole story. It was bizarre and the scenes were like random with no proper sequence of events.I remembered when Luis Buñel slit the woman's eyes, I  honestly can't take to watch it without blinking my eyes.

The film started with a man riding on a bicycle. He was carrying a box with him. Suddenly, he went unbalanced then fall down on the road and hit his head on the concrete cement. A woman heard that, I think because she went down to see him. I think the woman was the main character in the story. Then the next scene, she was with another man with ants on his hand. I don't get the sequence of this story. They were both in a hotel room (I think it was a hotel room). And the following scene they heard a commotion outside. There was a hand on the street and another young woman was there moving it. I think the one who owns the hand was important to her. An officer picked up the hand and gave it to her. The main characters, which are the man and woman in the hotel room watched over her. The young woman was out of her mind. She was hit by a car and the man and woman in the hotel room witnessed the accident. The man was happy then suddenly, he touched the woman's breast. They fought because the woman didn't like what the man was doing to her. Then, the man pulled something. I was surprised to see two dead animals (which I think are horses) at the top of the two grand pianos and another two men tied together.After that, the main character (the man) came in again and fought with the man from the first scene (he was the one with the box I think). The man from the first scene shot the man and he died. The location changed and it was in the forest. Then the woman went with another man again and the scene was on the beach.

The film was very unpredictable because it has many scenes. I thought it was a bit confusing. I can't even identify which is the imagination and which is the reality. But it was a good film though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger